First one from Ann…seems appropriate right now with several of you on your way…
A few tips on what (NOT) to do when traveling to Italy.
Now all from Lydka…
QUOTES ABOUT ITALY
- “The Creator made Italy from designs by Michaelangelo.” –Mark Twain
- Traveling is the ruin of all happiness! There’s no looking at a building after seeing Italy.” –Fanny Burney
- “Italy, and the spring and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy.” –Bertrand Russell
- “What is the fatal charm of Italy? What do we find there that can be found nowhere else? I believe it is a certain permission to be human, which other places, other countries, lost long ago.” –Erica Jong
- “You may have the universe if I may have Italy.” –Giuseppe Verdi
- “Venice is like eating an entire box of chocolate liqueurs in one go.” –Truman Capote
- “Italy is a dream that keeps returning for the rest of your life.” –Anna Akhmatova
“Italy, my Italy! Queen Mary’s saying serves for me– (When fortune’s malice Lost her Calais)– Open my heart and you will see Graved inside of it, Italy.'” –Robert Browning
- “This was Venice, the flattering and suspect beauty this city, half fairy tale and half tourist trap, in whose insalubrious air the arts once rankly and voluptuously blossomed, where composers have been inspired to lulling tones of somniferous eroticism.” –Thomas Mann
- “In Italy, the concept of the family is very important.” –Monica Bellucci
- “Thou Paradise of exiles, Italy!” –Percy Bysshe Shelley
- “I stood in Venice, on the Bridge of Sighs; A palace and a prison on each hand; I saw from out the wave of her structure’s rise As from the stroke of the enchanter’s wand: A thousand years their cloudy wings expand Around me, and a dying Glory smiles O’er the far times, when many a subject land Look’d to the winged Lion’s marble pines, Where Venice sate in state, throned on her hundred isles.” –Lord Byron, Childe Harold (canto IV, st. 1)
- “I love the language, that soft bastard Latin, Which melts like kisses from a female mouth, And sounds as if it should be writ on satin With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.” –George Gordon Noel Byron
ITALIAN SPEAK WITH THEIR HANDS
Here’s a list of simple Italian sayings that can really come in handy, especially when you’re trying to say have a great weekend!
Buon lavoro = may your work be fruitful.
Buona lettura = enjoy your reading.
Buona lezione = may the lecture/class be fruitful.
Buon seminario = may the seminar/class be fruitful.
Buono studio = may your study be fruitful.
Buon appetito = enjoy your food.
Buon ascolto = enjoy the music [listening].
Buona degustazione = enjoy the tasting.
Buona spaghettata = enjoy your spaghetti [pasta].
Buona visione = enjoy the movie.
Buona continuazione = enjoy the rest of your day/activity.
Buona domenica = enjoy your day of rest [the day of the Lord].
Buone feste = happy holidays.
Buon fine settimana [buon weekend] = have a great weekend.
Buona permanenza = enjoy your stay.
Buon proseguimento = enjoy the rest of your stay/activity.
Buone vacanze = enjoy your vacation.
Buon viaggio = have a safe trip.
Buon volo = have a safe flight.
Buon weekend [buon fine settimana] = have a great weekend.
Buona guarigione = I wish you a speedy recovery.
Buon riposo = sleep well [get well soon].
Buona giornata = have a great day.
Buon giorno = good day [greetings].
Buona notte = good night [good-bye].
Buon pomeriggio = good afternoon [greetings].
Buona sera = good evening [greetings].
Buona serata = have a great evening.