On February 18, there was a nice radio interview, also broadcast on the web, by Radio Cerrano (a local Abruzzo radio) where Ercole Ginoble,Gianluca’s father, was a guest. It was a delightful and fun interview.
At a certain point Ercole called Michele Torpedine by phone, and he said a lot of really sensational news on the next appointments of IL VOLO.
But let’s go in order. Here is the video of the interview.
At first Ercole says that as a young man he also worked in the first private radio stations, in the 70s / 80s.
The announcers, together with Ercole, retrace the years of IL VOLO’s career.
Then Ercole confirms that Il Volo is now in concert in the US.
Ercole says that for the third time they sold out at RCMH and also in many other theaters.
He confirms it is very demanding to be a parent of Il VOLO, especially the first few years where they were taught to follow them always and everywhere, since they were minors.
He says there is also a lot of fun, but also a lot of stress, in fact he says that on the last South American tour, in 30 days they took 20 planes.
One of the announcers says that the strength of IL VOLO is also the great friendship between them, and Ercole confirms that Piero, Ignazio and Gianluca spend most of the time together and therefore their friendship is real.
They also talk about Sanremo and the horrible treatment by the press room of last year.
Then Ercole calls Michele Torpedine by phone and after the greetings and pleasantries, Michele says very important things, after the world tour, which I summarize as follows:
There will be a third date for Verona.
They will be sent for an event on March 27th in Assisi, with the Pope.
There will be a second tribute to the Three Tenors and will take place in Piazza S. Pietro in Rome.
These news has really amazed everyone, for the moment I think the events are still being implemented, but we really hope that they will become reality.
I was amazed, St. Peter’s Square, it’s a truly wonderful thing. An event which is impossible to miss!
Sanremo has passed. It was really hard. The boys expected very busy days of work and emotions.
Piero, Ignazio and Gianluca were, to say the least, fabulous, magnificent performers of a beautiful song.
The first night, they are greeted with a very long applause that has confirmed the affection of the public.
On the evening of the duets, together with the violinist Alessandro Quarta, they performed a magnificent performance and received a standing ovation. They deserved first prize!
Let’s review the performance together.
Sanremo is over and third place went to them. Honestly, as things were going, I did not even believe that they would be placed within the first three positions, but, as usual, let’s recap everything.
It is now known to all that Italian journalists have never had a good relationship with IL VOLO, but this year they have really exceeded the limit of rudeness.
Already the Sunday before the beginning of Sanremo, the newspaper ROLLING STONE ITALIA had published an article to say the least honorable comments on our boys, so that in the evening, Torpedine had made a hard post against the newspaper, from his Facebook page.
Sanremo started and there were evening performances and continuous interviews during the day.
For those fortunate enough to be able to follow Italian TV, he will have noticed that the boys have always been polite, humble and sincere, always with a smile even if they sometimes listened to comments and unjust vows on them.
Therefore, during the final evening, in scrolling through the final classification and getting to the fourth place and seeing that IL VOLO had not been called, I was very happy. I ran to vote again, final verdict, third place. Damn, I’m glad they are within the first three, but they could also be second, because I’ve always known that ULTIMO was the super favorite and is also followed by countless very young fans.
But now, after being aware of certain videos and above all of the votes of each evening, I felt a great rage.
IL VOLO COULD BE FIRST TOO.
But the thing that made me more angry are videos taken in the press room, where we see journalists ridicule our boys, when Piero begins to sing and a journalist shouts “in jail” and then to the final proclamation journalists rejoice because IL VOLO is only third, and a woman’s voice says a dirty word addressed to the boys, whom I do not want to repeat.
These are really scenes of infinite baseness. I am deeply ashamed of these people.
Here is the video.
Today this video, is going around the web, thanks to Francesco Facchinetti (TV-radio host) who retweeted it by adding these textual words to journalists:
“I would kick you in the ass, until the end of the world, idiots, assholes and fools.”
Everyone is outraged, and all the newspapers and TV are talking about it.
The boys of IL VOLO, have always been very kind and polite to everyone and do not deserve a similar treatment.
Saturday afternoon, just before the last night in Sanremo, the boys were guests on a television program and there was a debate between our boys and a woman journalist who was always very critical with them.
The presenter asked Gianluca if he was affected by the negative criticism and Gianluca said no, because the more journalists criticize them and the more people support them.
Then the presenter, addressed to the audience in the hall, said: “Whoever agrees with Gianluca gets up.” and all the people got up.
The journalist was offended and wanted to leave, Ignazio intervened, trying to calm her down and reassure her, while Piero said: “It’s a week that you tell us that our music is old, but we like it.”
But let’s talk about the votes.
I am attaching the table of overall votes, before the final evening, as you can see, IL VOLOwas in first place.
In the last last vote, Ultimo overcomes them, thanks to the televoting, but also to the juries, the same juries that allow Mahmood to win, because both juries all vote for Mahmood, which instead had not taken so many votes from home.
So now there is a big storm, because those who voted from home paying, has seen the result overturned by a jury of 8 people.
A newspaper wrote: “If there is someone who has to complain about the vote of the Press Room and the Jury of Honor, it is IL VOLO”.
And in all this, our boys how did they behave?
Exceptional as always.
After suffering all the bad comments, they were on the podium and immediately congratulated the winner, a sincere hug, to Mahmood, still incredulous to be the winner, Ignazio even seems to help him out of the shock. Ignatius, you are a sweet teddy bear.
There is no malice in them, only affection for everyone.
Of course the bitterness is so much, then watching those horrible videos, the anger rises, and I wonder how the families of our boys reacted? One of them commented, but I believe on behalf of everyone, of course Ercole Ginoble.
“Sanremo has always been a stage where there is no lack of controversy, it is not the first time that we are facing them but it is also a stage that leaves room for the judgment of the people who listen and choose the music in which they recognize each other!
Thanks to all those who have made their support felt these days and in these 10 years. YEA, IL VOLO!”
But after watching those videos, Ercole Ginoble tweeted like this:
The good and educated “journalists” ??? Italian. Thank you for your professionalism!
And at the end today, on the official Facebook page of IL VOLO, the guys have published this comment:
We needed a few days to be lucid and to tell our story about what happened.
Some journalists (and it is good to say only a few) have heavily insulted us. They used words like “shit”, “fuck”, “in jail”, which we consider as the result of a real form of bullying, of teasing from the stadium. These people have not brought glory to the order they represent, their attitude has been an insult, before us, to all fellow journalists who do their work in a serious and professional manner.
In 10 years we have received a lot of criticism about our music, about the genre we sing, we have been accused of being arrogant and snooty.
We have never given importance to all this, also because, fortunately, we have supporters who support us daily and love what we do. But when we see videos that testify to the wickedness and lack of humanity on the part of people who could be our parents (many of whom are also our grandparents), it annoys us a lot. Bother because every artist must have his own space for musical expression. To be called “shit” or to see someone shouting “in jail” just because we are doing what we like to do in life is very disrespectful to us, but above all to freedom of expression.
Music should be freedom, not a reason for insult!
Piero Barone, Ignazio Boschetto, Gianluca Ginoble of Il Volo.
But since we talked a lot about last night, let’s enjoy at least a little piece of “MUSICA CHE RESTA”.
And here in this video, the most beautiful moments of this adventure of Sanremo.
And here is the cover of Sorrisi e Canzoni.
I’m so proud of our Piero, Ignazio and Gianluca !!
You guys are formidable, you’ve done some performances, not a step, but a whole scale above all the others.
Your talent is unquestionable, and when you have combined your talent with the Fourth violinist, it has been a pleasure for ears and eyes.
But what should we say about you as a human person?
You are really beautiful people, polite, and pleasant to everyone, humble and good.